I tried Caldo Verde recently in Portugal and it, is delicious as it is simple.
Have a look at the recipe below on my own take on this Portuguese comfort food, perfect for autumn.
Ingredients: 2 pints of chicken stock, 1 large potato, 1 large courgette, 1 onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 a ring of chorizo (I used turkey chorizo for this recipe as it’s a little healthier), tin of chickpeas rinsed and drained, good handful of spinach, a little oil and salt and pepper.
- Start by gently frying one diced onion and garlic in a little oil to soften
- Cube both the potato and courgette and add to the onion and garlic
- Pour over the chicken stock and bring to boil
- Simmer for around 10-15 minutes until the potato is soft and blitz all in a food processor to make a lovely soup base
- Cut the chorizo into smallish chunks and dry fry in a pan for a few minutes to brown and remove any fat
- Place the soup base back on a low heat and add the chopped chorizo, spinach and chickpeas for a further 15 minutes until all flavours have melted into this soup
- Add seasoning and enjoy!
I also came across this lovely article recently on all things Caldo Verde!