Looking for something different this week? Remember turkey isn’t just Christmas with this Japanese style, slow cooked turkey leg with umami flavours!
Cook: 3 hours
Ingredients: 1 large turkey leg, (male if you can get it, as it’s even bigger), 1/2 a bottle of red wine, 1 heaped tbsp. of white miso paste, 2 tsps. Sesame seeds 4 peeled garlic cloves, 2 star anaise, 2 cinnamon sticks.
- Preheat oven to 130F
- Make some slits in the skin of the turkey
- Pop the turkey leg into a deep lidded, oven proof pan
- Add to the pan the rest of the ingredients, making sure to pour some over the top of the turkey
- Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 1.5 hours
- Take the turkey out and baste
- Pop back in the oven for a further 1.5 hours
- Allow the turkey to rest and serve with juices from the pan, which makes a great gravy
Goes well with your choice of veg, rice, noodles and even roast potatoes.