Possibly my favourite dip ever…after hummus of course! Have a go at recreating this recipe at home and let me know what you think.
Serves: 4 as a side dip or more as part of a bigger Mezze Platter, (check out the links below for more ideas).
Cook: 40 mins
Prep: 10 mins
Ingredients: 1 large aubergine, 4 tbsps. of olive oil, juice of one lemon, 2 tbsp. of tahini, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp. of powdered cumin, 1/2 tsp. of salt, your choice of nuts and a little more olive oil to serve.
- Preheat your grill to high
- Prick the aubergine all over and place under the hot grill for 15 minutes each side, until the aubergine skin becomes sunken
- Allow to cool slightly and scoop out all the flesh and add to a blender or a bowl if using a hand blender
- Chop the garlic and add to a pestle and mortar with the cumin and salt and pepper, mix to a smooth paste then add the olive oil
- Add this mix to the aubergine and add the lemon juice and tahini and mix until smooth
- Add a little more olive oil if the mixture needs loosening
- Serve in a bowl with your choice of nuts for a garnish, (I used linseeds, walnuts, pine nuts and black sesame seeds), drizzle over some olive oil and serve with crudités or pitta or both!
Click on the links below to see my other Aubergine, Dips and Mezze Ideas x
Store Cupboard Vegan Green Lentil Hummus…
Inspired by Iraq – Cucumber, Dill and Yogurt Soup
Vegan Oven Roasted Spicy Aubergines with Spicy Green Lentils
Grilled Aubergine, Courgette and Red Pepper Salad with a Tahini, Lemon and Herb Dressing
Inspired by Syria – Garlicky Roasted Courgette and Carrot, Honey, Cumin and Pine Nut Dips
Inspired by Egypt – Courgette and Chickpea Salad with DukkahGrilled Aubergine, Courgette and Red Pepper Salad with a Tahini, Lemon and Herb Dressing
Inspired by the Lebanon – Whole Roast Lebanese Chicken with A Cauliflower, Bulgar Wheat Tabbouleh