Want a tasty treat this evening without having to make an unnecessary visit to the supermarket? Then try this…my Friday Night Freezer Rice with Cheeky Chorizo, something that can be enjoyed by all the family!
Please note that this dish can easily be made to suit a vegan or veggie diet by omitting the chorizo and using veggie stock.
Ingredients: Thumb sized piece of chorizo, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 cup of rice (long grain, basmati or risotto will work), three cups of frozen veg of your choice, I used sweetcorn, peas and butternut squash, 1 stock cube like chicken or vegetable, 2 tsp of harissa paste if you have, if not 1 tsp of tomato puree and 1 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of dried oregano or dried thyme, a little oil for frying, jarred black olives and lemon slices to serve if you have.
- Cut the chorizo, onion and garlic into small pieces and fry in a lidded pan with a little oil for a few minutes, until the onion is softened and has taken on some of the colour from the chorizo
- Add your rice and give it a good stir, so that it is coated in all of the juices from the onion mix
- Make up 1 stock cube with two cups of boiling water, (same cup you used to measure the rice)
- Pour the stock into the pan and give it a good stir
- Add you frozen veg and tomato puree or harissa paste with the dried herbs
- Give another good stir, bring to the boil and then simmer lid on for 10mins
- After 10mins the rice should be al dente, but if you prefer it softer, add 1/2 a cup of water and cook for a further 5mins lid on
- Serve with a few olives and fresh lemon slices if you have
- Dig in!